Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Treasure Box

I saw this idea a few years back when reading "How to Raise an Amazing Child the Montessori Way" by Tim Seldin. I didn't even have a child then, but was teaching preschool and very interested in the Montessori Method. This book is very informative and has lots of great ideas, including this the treasure box (basket).
Now that D is sitting up on his own I have placed a few special items in a basket for him to discover. The things I have included are a yellow playsilk, green wool yarn, wooden spoon,a pinecone, a crochet bear,  a metal spoon, a wooden egg and a wooden rattle. I plan to change things out once a week. Right now he is really enjoying the wooden spoon, since he is teething.
I saw that sewliberated.typepad.com also did a post about he son discovering treasures in his basket too.
D will do this activity about an hour after we wake in the morning, while I sit and crochet next to him. He will ususally play quietly for 15 mins before he wants me attention.
(Do not leave child unattended)


"What will I choose"

"Mmmm this bear tastes good"


"But I like this spoon better"

"Or maybe this pinecone tastes good"

'Na I think this spoon is the best"



No comments:

Post a Comment